Tuesday, February 22, 2011

No bake cookies!

I've had a little bit of skim milk leftover in my fridge from a cake I made last week, and have been trying to figure out how to use it up.  I've considered hot chocolate or a chocolate martini, but I've never quite had a hankering for either.  So, in the midst of a PMS-induced chocolate craving today, I had the strong need to make something, and realized that for once I had all the ingredients for no bake cookies in my kitchen (I rarely have milk).

We used to make these all the time in middle school when we were too lazy to actually bake.  I like this basic recipe, but I've jazzed mine up a little bit.

Almond Joy No Bake Cookies
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup sugar
1/2ish cup butter (I had the better part of a stick in my fridge and threw it in without really measuring)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp amaretto (optional)
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup Nutella (also in my pantry and needed to be used up)
3 cups of oats
1/2 cup ish of flaked coconut (I didn't measure, just sort of threw it in as I was mixing the rest)

Mix the milk, sugar, butter, and cocoa in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Stir until mixture starts to boil, then boil for 1 1/2 minutes.
Take the pot off the heat.  Add the extracts, amaretto if you're using it, the almond butter, and the Nutella.  Stir until everything is combined and the almond butter and Nutella have melted.  Then stir in the oats and coconut.
Scoop out whatever size cookies you want on to waxed paper (I kept mine smallish and got 44 out of the recipe).  Let cool.  When they're solidified, store in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

These could be healthier, but they're not terrible.  2 points plus per cookie if you make them as small as I did.
Chocolate craving: vanquished.  And now I have something to take to work tomorrow and eat instead of the Girl Scout cookies slowly invading the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment