Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dissecting my week of fail

So as I sit here trying to summon the motivation to remove myself from the couch and make another cup of tea, I thought I might try and learn some lessons from this week to make the next one suck less.
I think the biggest problem was that I kind of hit a wall with Weight Watchers this week.  After thinking I'd been pretty good all last week and then only losing .2lbs, I got kind of frustrated.  And the frustration leads to the moment where it's like 'wait a minute, I don't really need to lose the weight, I don't really need to be doing this, I'm just going to start eating whatever I want.'  Fortunately, I'm realizing for the first time that when I do eat whatever I want, it doesn't always feel that great.  The fancy lunch I went out for on Tuesday was good, but I feel like I ate a lot without really thinking about it and enjoying it, I just went to this crazy place where I felt like I had to inhale food for no reason.  It's been awhile since I've felt like that, so it was kind of scary.  And Thursday's mac/chz/beer disaster wasn't much better.  I knew I didn't need the third beer, and definitely regretted it the next morning, but I felt like I had to keep up with my boyfriend to prove I was still the fun, beer drinking, junk eating girl he met before I started trying to do all this health stuff.
That all said, I didn't go totally awry this week.  All of my breakfasts and most of my lunches were pretty healthy.  I resisted the temptation to drink at dinner last night, because I knew I wanted to still be able to go to the gym.  I keep wanting to stop tracking my WW points for the rest of the week, but I know that it won't actually help anything not to, so I'm sticking with it.
I've also been realizing I need to do more of this 'mindful eating' I hear so much about.  I always thought it was a bunch of bull, but there have been way too many times this week I've started eating a granola bar at my desk and the next thing I've looked down and it's been gone, and I barely remember eating it.  That is all kinds of alarming.  The problem is that a) I have a lot of work and b) I'm easily bored, so it's really hard for me to do things like just eat and do nothing else, like I know one is technically supposed to.  I think my plan for next week is to allow myself to mindlessly munch healthy things (baby carrots, fruit, etc.) but if I'm having something that actually costs points and I actually want to enjoy, I'm going to have to focus on it while eating it.  We'll see how it goes.  And, while I'm on things I should try doing, I'm going to attempt to eat only when at least somewhat hungry, instead of feeling obligated to finish off everything I've packed for lunch even if I don't want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment