Friday, December 2, 2011

Slippery slopes

Charity is a slippery slope.  As a result of my inability to get people to donate to my cause, I had a newfound respect for other people who try to raise money for good causes, which is why I donated a dollar to the Salvation Army guy instead of ignoring him and actually talked to one of those volunteer guys with clipboards.  He wanted me to sponsor a child and I said no, but at least I talked to him instead of just ducking my head and making a run for it.  And that's just two causes from two shopping trips.  The amount of problems out there in the world is large.  And it gets really overwhelming if you think about it at all.  I was having a conversation with someone the other day about choosing to be happy, which I'm trying to do more, but there's also a lot of badness out there in the world and if we all choose to ignore it because it's ugly, then nothing's ever going to change.  So I'm trying to figure out the line between ignoring things and wallowing in them, and trying to make a difference where I can.

Also a slippery slope is eating.  My frustration also sent me running for any food in my kitchen, and then any food at the grocery store.  Things I don't even usually enjoy, like potato chips and bad candy.  And I'm in that mode where I don't get full and can just keep shoving things in my face for forever.  I don't want to be there, but I'm not entirely sure how to get out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment