Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Breaking up vegan

No, I'm not giving up on my veganism experiment already.  I'm talking about going through a breakup while vegan, which is not something I expected to have to do, but it's happening.
And maybe those of you who have never emotionally eaten are wondering what the big deal is, but I'm not going to lie - I've actually fantasized about all the foods I'd allow myself to eat in a fit of breakup induced self indulgence.  High on the list were brie, and anything from the Cheesecake Factory.  Things that are obviously now strictly off limits.
I thought about giving myself a pass and doing those things anyway, but then I thought about the message that would be sending myself.  That just because I was going through a tough time emotionally, it was okay to neglect myself physically?  That didn't seem right.  Nor did it seem right to renege on a goal due to some minor (or major? I think I'm still in denial) emotional distress.
So far, I've held out.  My biggest indulgences have been these amazing dark chocolate and salt covered almonds from Trader Joe's, and some avocado chocolate mousse.  Neither of which are great in the quantities in which I've been consuming them, but nor are they a 2000 calorie slice of cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment