Monday, July 25, 2011

Am I supposed to be training for something?

So I've gotten down to a workout schedule I like, nay, love.  I'm doing Bar Method in the mornings and yoga in the evenings.  This week is kind of weird as it's my birthday so I'm in Vegas for the weekend, and thus OD-ing on Bar Method while I can, but in general, it's 5x Bar Method and 5x yoga per week, the off days of each on different days, and some cardio on the days I don't do Bar.  It's glorious.
But, during yoga today, the instructor was talking about how she used to just do yoga but would get out of breath running to the bus.  At Bar, they've been emphasizing anaerobic stuff.  I sense I should be getting some real cardio in here somewhere.
My problem is that I currently don't have a fitness goal aside from "look hot."  And I know that that's like, the number one bad reason for being really into fitness. 
Aside from now, the most athletic period of my life was when I was rowing in England, because I was actively training for something.  Currently, my location is too far from actual water to permit rowing being anything I can do on a regular basis.
This leaves swimming (hate it), biking (too afraid of getting run over), and running.
Running and I have a complicated relationship.  I usually hate it.  Ever so often, I'll get super into it for a month or so, get better, and then abandon it for one reason or another.  I've watched several friends run marathons, and it seems like every fitness blog I read has people training for marathons. 
So why not me?  I know I could.  If I really committed to a training program, I think it would be extremely doable.  My concern is largely the effect on my body.  I've heard way too many knee/hip horror stories.  I have in the past been prone to knee issues while running.  And yet somehow, this feels like something I should be doing.  Who knows.  It's luring me in.  Slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment